There are a number of different ways you can help our dogs become Seeing Eye Dogs through Foster Caring.
Short or long term foster carers
- Short Term Foster Carers look after a puppy or adult Seeing Eye Dog for one to four weeks at a time
- Long Term Foster Carers look after a puppy or adult Seeing Eye Dog for a month or more
- Ideal carers are those that work from home or are able to take the dog out and about with them, as our dogs must not be left unsupervised for more than 3-5 hours (depending on age and stage of training)
- No prior dog skills are required, you will be provided with training and all dog food and equipment
- Our pups and dogs may require short term care whilst their full time puppy carer or client is away, or for medical or training reasons
- Carers must be able to adhere strictly to the individual guidelines for each dog in regards to what they are and are not allowed to do, which depends on their stage and progress in training
We are currently accepting applications for: Greater Bendigo and Maryborough, Ballarat, Geelong, Mornington Peninsula, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Buderim/Maroochydore and in the NSW suburbs Richmond, Windsor, Penrith, Kingswood, Cranebrook, Mcgraths Hill and the suburbs surrounding these areas.
Training dog foster carers - Melbourne
- Look after a Seeing Eye Dog while they undergo the 4-6 months of advanced training at ‘school’ at our training facilities in Kensington, Victoria.
- While receiving training, our dogs need to be dropped off at the Seeing Eye Dog training facilities in Kensington each morning, and then collected each afternoon – Monday to Friday.
We are currently accepting applications for: Currently full.
Training dog foster carers – QLD & NSW
We also require Training Dog foster carers in Queensland (Maroochydore and Brisbane regions) and Sydney (west and inner west). Our trainers will collect the dogs from your home in the morning (Monday to Friday) and drop them back in the afternoon. Sometimes short term foster carers are also needed in these areas for puppies if their permanent carers are away or unwell.
We are currently accepting applications for: Buderim/Maroochydore and in the NSW suburbs Richmond, Windsor, Penrith, Kingswood, Cranebrook and Mcgraths Hill.
Interested in becoming a foster carer?
Complete an expression of interest form here.